First Steps Project
Your Pregnancy Photographic Journey
Hello, beautiful mumma-to-be! As you’re reading this, you’re likely feeling a mix of excitement, anticipation, and perhaps a little bit of nervousness. Trust me, I’ve been there with many mums like you.
You’re Not Just a Spectator,
You’re The Heart of This Story
Whether you’re stepping into motherhood for the first time or taking another beautiful step in your ongoing journey, remember this: you’re not just a spectator in this life-altering transformation.
As you prepare to welcome this new life into the world, I want you to remember— in this beautiful, unfolding story you are the heart and soul, the love and warmth that will nurture this new life.
Let’s make sure these precious, fleeting moments don’t slip away undocumented. You deserve to be front and center in this beautiful narrative, not just for you but for the little one you’re about to meet.
Why Choose the
First Steps Project with Me?
If you’re a mum who loves colour and dreams of a fine art portrait to celebrate your pregnancy, then you’re in the right place.
This isn’t just a photo session; it’s your emotional journey turned into fine art. Feel the joy and love you’re experiencing, captured in vivid color and light. I’m not just your photographer; I’m your storyteller.
For the mum who loves colour and feels the depth of these moments, let me guide you through this transformative experience. It’s more than a photo; it’s my goal to give you a daily reminder of this special chapter in your life.
- A Personalised Design Consultation with me, where we’ll dream up your perfect shoot
- Expert guidance on wardrobe and preparation, so you can look and feel your best
- Complimentary Hair and Makeup, to add that extra touch of glamour for your Masterpiece or Little Moments Session
- Access to my amazing wardrobe of timeless outfits designed specifically for pregnancy
- a fun, guided and interactive IN STUDIO Pregnancy Portrait Session
- A Portrait Reveal and Ordering Session, where I’ll help you choose your favourite photos and create the perfect package to purchase for you.
- A complimentary Fine Art Canvas or Print wall art piece for your wall with the purchase of a package.*
In Technicolour Glory
It all started on the day
I Received The Booking Call
Without even realising, they managed to talk me off a ledge. Talking to her was like I had a friend.
It was the first time in a long time, in a very long time that I didn’t feel totally alone.
Then coming into the studio, we were greeted like lifelong friends. The way every single person in the studio totally embraced my little family, my extremely wild little girl, my very quiet teen, my special little babe and my total awkwardness.
Just wanted to say thank you for being some of the most amazing people I have ever met. Thank you for my beautiful photos.
Thank you for embracing the different personalities of my family.
THIS PROJECT IS PERFECT FOR
This experience is crafted exclusively for:
- Those who’d love fine art portraiture full of colour and playing with light in the studio.
- First-Time Mums-to-Be: If this is your first journey into motherhood, let’s make it unforgettable by capturing the awe and wonder of your growing bump.
- Seasoned Mums: Each pregnancy is a new chapter in your life’s story. You’ve been through this beautiful journey before, but each pregnancy is unique and worth celebrating.
- High-Risk Journey: Facing a high-risk pregnancy? These moments are filled with extra love, care, and hope. Let’s capture the strength and resilience that define your journey.
- Mums of Multiples: Expecting more than one? Your extraordinary journey deserves an extraordinary keepsake.
- Long-Awaited Joys: Whether through IVF, adoption, or natural conception, your dream of becoming a mum is finally coming true, and you want to capture this special time.
IS THIS FOR ME?
I’m here to guide you through every step of your special photo experience.
Worried About How You’ll Look? No need to stress! We’ll start your session with hair and makeup magic to make you look and feel your best.
Not Sure What to Wear? I’ll help you pick out the perfect outfit so you can look and feel amazing.
Nervous About Getting Ready? With my friendly, one-on-one service, I make sure you’re comfortable and prepared for your photo session.
Can’t Decide Which Photos to Keep? At a special viewing session, I’ll help you choose your favorite pictures that tell your unique story.
Confused About Printing Photos? Leave that to me. I handle all the details, making the process smooth from start to finish.
Whether you’re after just a few beautiful photos or the full experience, you’re in safe hands. I’m here to guide you every step of the way because your life is worth capturing.
Choose The Session
Thats Right For You
Whether you’d love a personalized session or a few beautiful portraits, there’s something for everyone’s needs.
Your Dream Session
Looking for a session where you’re in control of every detail? The Masterpiece Experience is just for you! Together, we’ll design your dream session, from outfit selection and styling, to how your final photos will be displayed. We’ll create magic in your 1.5 hr long session. My goal is to help you create a collection of lifetime legacy pieces for your home, capturing every detail that makes your family unique. Packages start from $2600
Perfect for Mums who’d
– Love multiple outfit changes and ample time to play with light to create a unique narrative.
– Love to be pampered with their hair and makeup
– Want to include the whole family to refresh their family photos and fill their walls with stunning artwork.
Fancy a shorter session without compromising on styling and variety? Little Moments Sessions are 30 minutes long and perfect for families who prefer fewer design choices but still want to include everyone. Packages start from $790.
Perfect for Mums who’d
– Prefer a shorter session
– Love a selection of beautiful portraits with a small outfit variety.
– Love assistance with their hair and makeup.
Have questions about your photography session? Here are all the FAQs you need to know!
Who Can I Include In My Session?
You're welcome to include whomever you would like. There's no limits! Everyone is welcome! Grandparents, friends, mums groups and fur babies, whoever you call family!
I'll design the session around your unique needs. If you'd like your newborn session to be all about mum, dad, and your new baby, or just your baby, or just your baby and their older siblings, I'll create magic no matter what your preference is!
Family sessions, on location or in the studio can be just you and your fur baby, or you, partner and your three energetic kids, or just your baby on their first birthday, or you and your crazy extended family.
Your session is all about you!
What Will I Spend? I Only Want Digital Images, Is This An Option?
Little Moments Mini Sessions:
I offer a range of packages that are created to give you a balance of finished artwork and your favourite photos digitally.
Packages start from $790. My most popular package choices see families spend $990 - $1490. This can include the entire gallery of digital images or 10 or 20 of your favourite photos in digital format and a number of beautiful wall pieces ready for display in your home.
*40+ images provided with a family composed of three or more family members.
Masterpiece Portrait Sessions
The most popular choice, families choose this immersive session because they want a fully customised, done for you experience. We'll have plenty of time for me to get to know you, play with you, and give you time to settle in and really take our time creating magic. You'll have your preference of date, location, the styling of the session.
Packages are all-inclusive, and start from $2600 for the entire gallery of digital images. Families who choose this experience want to print beautiful images to enjoy in their homes every day. If you spend over $3200 on heirloom artwork to display in your home, you’ll receive the entire gallery of digital images complimentary as well.
*70+ images provided with a family composed of three or more family members.
- The entire gallery (over 70+ images*) $2600
- Artwork & Digital Image Packages start from $3200.
- 5 digital images are $790
- 15 digital images are $990
I'm on a budget, do you offer payment plans?
Yes! No Interest Payment Plans are available via a PayRight. Let’s discuss your options early in the process so there is transparency for all parties involved. I recommend a Little Moments Mini Session if this is the case!
Don't worry about making a commitment right now! Just wait until the exciting portrait reveal, and then you can decide what's best for you. And remember, I'm here to guide you in your choice. We'll work together to create a package that suits your needs. But, fair warning – my clients fall in love with their photos and can't help but choose them all! So, get ready for an amazing experience and some truly unforgettable memories.
Do I have to choose my package when I book?
No! I want you to see your photos before I help you choose your images and package. I don’t require the purchase of a predefined “collection” or “package”, and I certainly don’t make you choose your package upfront. This gives you the freedom and flexibility to choose how you wish to invest in your memories.
How Many Images Will I Get To See?
Depending on your session choice, I'll create loads of variety, and as many images to choose from as possible without making it an arduous process for you.
A fully customised, immersive Masterpiece Portrait session with at least three family members (two parents and a child or one parent and two children) produces approximately 70+ photos.
Your shorter Little Moments Mini Sessions produce approximately 40+ photos.
When will I choose and pay for my package?
Don't worry about making any commitment before deciding to book! Just wait until your exciting portrait reveal, and then you can decide what's best for you, when you can see your family in the photos.
And remember, I'm here to guide you in your choice. We'll work together to create a package that suits your needs. But, fair warning – my clients fall in love with their photos and can't help but choose them all! So, get ready for an amazing experience and some truly unforgettable memories.
How Long Will My Session Go For?
Your session time will depend on what session type you’ve booked. I am also very baby and child-led, and will follow their lead - as long as they are happy and willing!
- Family Masterpiece Sessions are approximately 1 hour
- In-Studio Newborn Masterpiece Sessions are approximately 2-3 hours
- Extended Family Masterpiece Sessions are approximately 1-1.5 hours
- Little Moments Mini Sessions are 15 minutes
- In Studio Little Moments Sessions are approximately 15-30 minutes
- Maternity and First Birthday Masterpiece sessions 30-45 minutes
What Is Required To Book My Session?
All sessions require a non-refundable session fee to take your booking. This is your session booking fee and is separate from your package purchase.
After your session, you’ll buy the photos you love, in a format that works for your family.
Little Moments Mini Session fees are $50
Masterpiece Portrait Session fees are $150
How Long Will It Take To See My Photos?
We will book you in for your ordering session at the conclusion of your photo session. This will depend on your availability and ours, but typically we have our clients return to the studio for their photo reveal approximately 1-4 weeks after the session date.
What Should I Wear To My Session?
While it might feel easiest to go out and buy new outfits for everyone, there’s no need to – coordinating your outfits from the clothes you have in your wardrobe is perfectly acceptable. And they don’t have to be designer clothes!
The goal with your clothes is to ensure that they complement and aren’t distracting. Wear clothes that flatter your body and that make you feel comfortable and that you know your kids will be okay in.
For your Maternity & Studio Sessions, I have a large client wardrobe of flattering outfits for the whole family, and everything needed for babies.
When you book, you'll receive a comprehensive PDF guide on how to choose what to wear. I'm also here to assist with the process as well and will talk you through the choices!
What If My Children Are Shy And Need Time To Warm Up?
I am very good at working with children with all sorts of attention spans, temperaments and energy levels. I'll always work to get the best out of your children whatever their mood. Your photo sessions is child-led with a focus on play, which works well for family members who are reluctant to have their photos taken. Sometimes it can take up to 5-15 minutes for children to appropriately warm up to someone they’ve just met but I'm very good at connecting with kids and helping them to relax.
I Want Photos Of Us All Looking and Smiling For The Camera, Can You Do This?
Absolutely, in every session, it is my goal to get photos of you looking and smiling at the camera as well as playful and interactive shots. However, if you’re more set on these traditional-looking photos, I may not be the right fit for you. My style of photography is to capture genuine, authentic magic moments, through a relaxed play-based directed manner and having you interacting with each other and your environment.
What Is The Best Location For My Photo Session?
My studio is located in MacGregor. I have a number of locations already scouted in Canberra, to suit a variety of needs. I'm constantly on the lookout for unique, special and beautiful locations that factor in good lighting and are tactile so that kids can explore and play easily. I have a range of locations that I will suggest after consultation with you for your Masterpiece Portrait session, based on your personal aesthetic and vision. If a particular image of mine resonates with you, let me know, as certain images have been taken at certain locations and times of year.
Little Moments Mini Sessions will feature the best look in the foliage for that weekend. The location will be predetermined and chosen a couple of days out from your session. If you'd like more control over the choice of location for your session, please choose a Masterpiece Portrait Session!
What Time Is The Best For An Outside Session?
Your on location session will be booked for 1-2 hours before the sun sets. Why? Because that’s when the lighting is soft, flattering and golden. The sun is low in the sky, which means there are no harsh shadows on people’s faces and we can get that gorgeous warm glow that will make your photos look magical. Morning Sessions are also available and will be booked for 1-2 hrs after the sun has risen.
What Is The Best Time For A Maternity And Newborn Session?
For your comfort and mobility, I recommend your maternity shoot be at your 30-35 week mark.
For newborn sessions, you have a choice between a posed or lifestyle look or a blend of both. I recommend your baby be between 1-3 weeks if your preference is more posed or up to 6 weeks of age if you’re looking for a more lifestyle look.
Newborn Masterpiece sessions are perfect for babies up to 3 months because I allow for plenty of time to keep baby settled and happy.
Little Moments Mini Sessions are suitable for babies from birth, through to 12 months and beyond
What Are Your Rescheduling Policies?
Check out my terms and conditions regarding rescheduling to be across all of the details. I will absolutely accommodate you in the instance of genuine need - ie sickness. I do ask that you communicate with me so I'm able to accomodate your needs.
I know you’ve got everything crossed for good weather on the day of your session, however, I can’t control the weather. I can only read the forecast and make decisions based on that information. I have seen skies clear on rainy days and thunderstorms come out of nowhere, therefore I will make a call on whether we need to reschedule your session at the last possible moment. We may end up changing the location to work around the weather.
Your makeover isn’t limited to just hair and makeup, it also includes access to my exclusive wardrobe that is full of clothing that is especially made for pregnancy, and guaranteed to fit you, no matter what body type you have. I also have a full range of clothing for kids under 2 as well, and dads are also looked after!
Special Project Details
Why Is This By Application?
I want to make sure that you’re fully prepared for the special experience coming your way!
I want this to be special for you. I want to create photos that your family can see of you. I want to make sure that you can see how much your family loves you in return.
I want to tell your story.
I want to make sure you and your loved ones exist in tangible, printed photos…
Should you not be successful in being selected, you’re very welcome to book a session at any time! You can find info here about the experience.
“Janet is an absolutely amazing photographer with real passion. We’ve had photoshoots for the kids with a number of other photographers and none of them compare to the beautiful outcome Janet is able to get. Very grateful to hear and capturing my favourite pics of my girls for a lifetime”
“Janet was amazing with our son during his newborn shoot. So happy with how our photos came out we have already booked for his 1st birthday ‘Fruit smash’! Highly recommend”
“Janet did two sessions for me. A maternity and newborn session I was so impressed by the quality of the photos. I did email Janet a lot regarding what I wanted many times and nothing was too much trouble. She has excellent customer service skills but the photos are just beautiful and I am still amazed at how beautiful they are”
“Janet is an absolute baby whisperer. Her experience in working with children and her expertise in the field has ensured each time we have worked with her that we not only receive the most beautiful images of our family but it has been a super fun, efficient and easy process. Janet is fantastic is working with you to learn and adapt to your visual tastes and end presentation needs. Particularly love her immense prep work, communication and use of digital forms to make everything so easy.”
Meet Your Photographer
Mother of two fierce, highly rambunctious, primary school girls and award-winning Canberra family photographer.
I've been capturing Canberra families of all shapes and sizes since 2014.
My mission is simple. To hold a safe space for your family to be your true authentic selves. To tell your story, to capture your little magic moments. To fill your home with photos that show how loved you are, and how much your family loves you in return...
I, along with my team, am neurodivergent. It certainly makes for a creative, fun if not sometimes chaotic workplace!
Fill in this form to become part of this project!
You Need To Know
Please consider these special offer terms and conditions before making your decision to claim this special offer.
*SPECIAL OFFER TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Sessions produce high-quality images that clients fall in love with. Please consider the experience included with your session and make sure I am the right photographer for you before deciding to purchase – For more info on pricing, please click here Moments Photography Canberra Pricing and Products
- Projects & Giveaways - The payment you make to book your session is returned to you as a credit to spend on your portraits. The usual session fee is waived and a payment is taken to secure the booking, this booking payment will be returned back to you at your purchasing appointment in the form of credit. The entire credit must be used and is not redeemable for cash and cannot be applied to a future session. (not applicable to fundraising projects as the payment will have been donated.)
- Special Offers and Package Specials (including by not limited to - Season Special/Maternity & Newborn Special, Mothers Day Special) The payment made to purchase the special includes the commitment to purchase a package from each session booked to be able to claim included products. Any credit included in the offer must be used in its entirety, is not redeemable for cash and cannot be applied to a future session.
- Your payment ensures that everybody’s time is valued and that another family does not miss out. If you need to reschedule your session with less than four weeks’ notice of your session date, a session fee will payable on rebooking in accordance with our rescheduling policy. Your booking payment will be applied to the session fee.
- Digital images and packages are not included in your session but may be purchased at your in-studio ordering session at my studio in Macgregor, ACT.
- Special Offers / Projects & Givaways are only available for new session bookings, are not combinable with any other offer or gift certificates, not available for sessions pending a reschedule and not transferrable as cash. One (1) offer per family and can not be split between multiple sessions.
- Your complimentary included product is included with the purchase of a photo package. Complimentary product is not available with the purchase of individual printed/digital products or on their own with no additional purchase. The purchase of a package must be made in order to receive the product. (Minimum investment is $790 and families typically invest 990 - 1490+ on Little Moments Mini sessions and 3200+ on Masterpiece Portrait Sessions.)
- If you change your mind within three (3) days of payment of your booking fee and wish to cancel, you may receive a full refund. You may request a refund of your booking payment if you do not want to proceed with your portrait session, provided you give more four week’s in accordance with our cancellation policy.
- If circumstances outside of the control of the photographer and/or client occur, you will be invited to reschedule your session to another date. If circumstances outside of all parties’ control occur and we cannot obtain photos, you will receive a full refund of your booking payment.
- Special offers and complimentary products are available for three months (unless otherwise stated) from the date of purchase. If the expiry lapses, any booking payment made can be transferred to credit towards a new session (normal session fee and pricing apply, any products or items in the special offer will no longer apply).
- If you are dissatisfied with your photos and do not wish to claim your credit or complimentary printed product, your booking payment will be refunded.
- Complete Service Terms & Conditions can be found here